Advice: Your own pet is sick or injured and you are on low income or benefits

If your own pet is sick or injured it is your legal responsibility to take it to a vet. Visit Find a Vet for your nearest one. Private vets will make house calls for an extra charge.

If you are on benefits or low income and cannot afford a private vet you may be eligible for help at one of the RSPCA’s charity hospitals or clinics. However, these vets do not make house calls.

  • The Harmsworth Memorial hospital is in Holloway and can be contacted on 0300 123 0712. The Putney Animal Hospital is also contactable on 0300 123 0716. However, please be advised that these are busy facilities so it may be necessary to keep trying if you cannot get through at first, or seek alternative help if urgent treatment is required.
  • The PDSA  and the Blue Cross also have charity veterinary help available for those on certain types of benefits. Visit their websites for more information.
  • Wood Green also operates a means-based veterinary clinic in North London. Alternatively, you can telephone for advice and information on 020 7888 2351.
  • The Celia Hammond Animal Trust (CHAT) also provide veterinary advice for those on lower incomes/benefits and have clinics in Canning Town and Lewisham. Visit their website for more information. Note that this charity is extremely busy.


Please note that we cannot send an animal ambulance to an owned pet. There are private ambulances that you can pay. Contact your local vet for more information or look in the Yellow Pages. Alternatively, ask a friend or neighbour with a car to help you. You must find a way to transport your own pet in a safe carrier (where required) if it urgently needs veterinary attention.

The Cinnamon Trust helps elderly people with transport for their pets. Ring 01736 757 900 for more information.

We may be able to help you with transport if you are genuinely unable to travel and have no family support, but we cannot offer an emergency service.

Contact us

For emergencies (eg. to report cruelty or sick/injured animals), call: 0300 1234 999

(Please be aware that our branch is unable to assist with reports of animal neglect and abuse, the number above is for the National Control Centre.)

To contact the branch office for other enquiries, you can:

Our postal address is:

RSPCA Central London
Box 145
2 Lansdowne Row
London W1J 6HL